An Upstate high school baseball coach who served 45 years at the same school died Monday
Dean Jones who coached at Chesnee High School from 1965-2010, won 729 games and four state championships – 1982-83, 88, and 2010. He was 79.
Jones’s teams won 22 conference championships.
He was Athletic Director and Head Football Coach for Chesnee for 14 years (78-55 record).
Among Jones’s career highlights:
• 2016: named to inaugural class of the South Carolina Baseball Coaches Association Hall of Fame in 2016.
• 2010: South Carolina Coach of the Year.
• 2008-2009: National Federation of State High School Association National Baseball Coach of the Year.
• Member of the South Carolina Coaches Association Hall of Fame
• Coach for inaugural SC-NC All-Star baseball game.