By JIM FAIR
The City of Greer recorded a record $1.3 billion $(1,302,896,294 in gross retail sales in fiscal year 2017, according to the South Carolina Department of Revenue.
• $798 million ($798,472,977) in sales in the City of Greer located in Greenville County
• $504 million ($504,423,316) in the portion of the city located in Spartanburg County.
• 12 percent increase compared to FY 2016
• 47 percent increased in sales over the last five years.
• “This growth is a result of investments in the Greer community. Retailers recognize that good things are happening and more good things are coming. The City of Greer leveraged about $17 million when we built the municipal complex and saw a three-fold investment coming back in the downtown area. We’re going to invest $25 million over the next three years and we absolutely anticipate that it will be an exponential reinvestment by the public sector.”
Ed Driggers, Greer City Administrator
• “High traffic counts and Greer’s proximity to BMW, Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport, and the Inland Port is a recipe for quality retail growth in Greer. But the true credit belongs to hard working retailers and restaurant owners in Greer who have defined the Greer retail market with world class customer service and a very attractive product mix.”
Reno Deaton, Executive Director of the Greer Development Corporation
• “A continued rise in gross retail sales is a great indicator of the strong economic climate in Greer, both residentially and commercially. This figure reflects the growth and vibrancy we have in the community, and serves as justification of the time and commitment that goes into not only recruiting new businesses, but also helping those already here grow.”
Katie Witherspoon, Vice President of Operations for the Greater Greer Chamber of Commerce.